Wednesday 11 October 2017

Review of Bandai 1/100 Gundam Kimaris Booster Unit Type

Going to my old favourite, building gundam kits. It has been ages since I built one and I managed to pick up this kit at a sale. I have never built a non-MG 1/100 grade before so I was curious about this new series that Bandai has launched.


This kit features in the popular series Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I have not watched that series so I do not really have any particular affiliation for any kits from that series but generally speaking, the box art looks impressive as usual. The kit looks cool on the cover.


The manual is little more than a leaflet passed outside a supermarket but I am guess it does its job. The parts are all nicely packed as expected.


Jumping right in and this is the chest piece. The construction is simple. The plastic is a little soft compared to what I remembered from previous MG kits. The detailing is good and lots of places to do panel lining. On the face of it, the kit comes with an inner frame though very simple it may be.

The snap fit is not as good as MG kits with gaps in many places. Not something I would expect from Bandai but I guess that is a trade off for the price.


The V shaped neck piece has a tendency to drop off at the slightest provocation which can be quite irritating.


The arms have basic articulation and the hands none.


The feet are....well...quite high heeled.


The finished inner frame. The construction is quite simple and the articulation is basic. From the looks of it, it will do well just standing without holding any fancy poses. The colors are pretty good. My son said it looked like Megatron without clothes on. And I kind of agree with him especially with the fingers looking like that.


The shoulder fins and packs on along with the head armour. Surprisingly, the top of the shoulder pops up as a gimmick and the fins can also be moved back and forth. The head looks very ..."megatron-ish" though



The arms and the leg armour on. The leg armour looks distinctly like those 1970's bell bottom pants haha.


Side view of the waist armour.


The booster pack


The weapons.




All round view of the Kimaris.



With the booster pack on.

Now what do I feel about this kit? I think for the price, Bandai has done an excellent job with the detailing, articulation and poseability. The inner frame is pretty basic but it can hold basic poses especially if a stand is used. And as can be seem the kit can stand on its own which is always a major plus in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment