Monday 9 January 2017

Review of LEPIN 20001 Porsche 911 GT3 RS

One of my favourite kits..The LEPIN 20001 Porsche 911 GT3 RS. This set comes with a total of 2704 pieces and a drive train. More on it later though. 

Without wasting further time, here we go. Firstly the box is massive...it really is with great minimalistic box art. Approximate box size is 47.5 x 14.5 x 37.5 cm. The Porsche logo is blurred out but it doesn't take great eyesight to make it out. 



Inside the box, the parts are separated into 5 boxes. and again, with what logic? I dont know for sure. The wheel rims and tyres get their own packing so that was a good touch, I think. And the instructions are massive.




Remove the instructions and you find the stickers along with the rubber bands, that look pretty adequate



First of you start with the gear shift mechanism. All good but the mother of all headaches start when you find that the packets have not been labelled so initially you have to go through all the packets to find the right part. Better to separate the parts before you start as well as invest in a block organizer maybe.



Its a nice fun build, not too many loose parts. Atleast nothing horrible. After getting a system to the parts madness, you can enjoy the build part. The gear set up looks very "responsive" hehe.



The steering wheel fits nicely with the drive train and all the rubber bands. 



Front suspension fits on. All parts are secure without nothing loose. Looks like a real treat coming together.



The outer frame of the car kinda fits onto the main chassis. So you need to fit that separately first.



Which then snaps onto the chassis without any hitches



Love the colour scheme..makes it look bumble bee-ish



Both seats in with no where to go.



The body parts are on and looking good so far






Firstly part wrongly exchanged. Instead of orange beam, I got a grey one. And another piece missing which can be easily spotted.





I have to say the satchel is a a nice touch to go along with the whole car.



And it fits in nicely under the hood. Looks great. But when I tried to use the gear drive train..nothing happened. Maybe I was doing something wrong but in any case, the finished thing looks great for display as well. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review and photos - just a bit confused though, are you actually saying there was at least one wrong piece and one missing piece? If so, you do know AliExpress will make the seller send the right parts or refund the money right? I ordered the Le Mans Racer a little while back and three parts were missing - when I reported it to AliExpress the missing parts turned up by express courier about 4 days later which I was pretty impressed with.

    Anyway, did you manage to get the transmission going? I really want to order this (as $499 for the official Lego version is just way out of my budget) but I'd like to know if the gear actually work or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I actually managed to get the right parts but it took me a long while. I rather prefer ordering the parts myself from bricklink if any are missing because usually the delivery is faster then and anyway you save a lot on the price of the kit compared to the original.

      I did not figure out the transmission really because the manual with the lepin is on a strict need to know basis. So they dont really show how the transmission works. I should have used the lego manual to figure it out but by then I had disposed of the kit because of lack of space.

      Lepin usually saves on manual by using just the pages which have instructions on building, anything else is just omitted.

      I hope this helps and keep following my blog.

      Delete
  2. Thanks - I ended up buying the Lepin version but have not built it yet. I also downloaded the official Lego manual for it so will build it from that. Thx for the tip and keep the great revise coming :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, meant 'reviews' in the last sentence!

      Delete
    2. Have fun with the build. It will take a long time but the build quality is very good.

      What I usually do is that I take the instructions from Lego and at the end, they give a parts list. Then I sort through all the parts to see if any are missing. Then if any are missing, I know which ones to buy.

      Once all parts are in, then I start building. That way, I dont have to wait for parts to come in while my kit is half complete.

      Please keep visiting.

      Delete